Monday 24 November 2014

Beef n' Sweet Potato Chili with Fresh Cilantro


How many versions of chili can this blog have? Lots apparently! It's a square meal in a pot and freezes wonderfully so why not keep 'em coming?!

I had it in my head to add roasted sweet potato to my chill and since I just bought a bunch of fresh cilantro from the store I thought I should toss that in too - since I don't think I've ever cooked with it!



1 Package of ground beef
2 x 19oz of diced tomatoes
1 19oz crushed tomato
1 Can of kidney beans
1/2 Cup frozen  corn cernels
1 Yellow onion diced
3 Cloves of garlic minced
2 Stalks of celery diced
1 Yellow pepper diced
1 Small zucchini diced
1 Medium sweet potato diced
1 Cup of fresh mushrooms
2 Tbsp of chill powder
1.5 Tbsp of cumin
1 Tbsp of italian seasoning blend
1/4 Cup of brown sugar
1/2 Tsp of red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper as you go!
1 Handful of fresh cilantro minced

Directions:
Roast the diced sweet potato on parchment pepper tossed lightly with oil and all of the italian seasoning blend for 22 minutes at 400 degrees.

Brown the beef with half of the chill powder and cumin.

In the pot soften the onion in olive oil, salt and pepper. Add celery and garlic then the yellow pepper. Salt and pepper as you go! Add the canned tomato then the diced zucchini, mushrooms, corn, kidney beans and the rest of the seasoning. Bring to a boil then add the sweet potato and browned beef. Put the temp to low and let it all hang out. Finish with minced cilantro and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment