Thursday 23 January 2014

Spicy and Savoury Butternut Squash Soup

This was totally inspired by ingredients I had. Chef Michael Smith would be so proud of me! I was sort of googling different recipes then decided to make my own combination with my imagination and it's "soo good!" You'll want to try this recipe.

1 Small/ medium butternut squash
1/2 Head of cauliflower 
2 Cloves of garlic
1 Medium yellow onion
2 Stalks of celery
2 Carrots
1 Can of chick peas
1 Heaping tbsp of cumin 
1 1/2 Tsp of red pepper flakes
1/4 Tsp of cinnamon
salt and pepper
Olive oil
Vegetable stock (8 cups of water)
8 Cups of water

I started by roasting some veg. The butternut squash I chopped into 1 inch pieces and lightly coated in olive oil, salt and pepper. Roasted at 400 for 40 minutes. The cauliflower I coated also with olive oil, the cinnamon and cumin and roasted for 25 minutes. The garlic cloves I chop the tip off each and put in tin foil, also roast for 25 minutes.

In the pot start by softening the onion in olive oil with some salt, then add celery, carrots and chick peas then water stalk and the rest of the goodies! Wait to cool and blend.
I toyed with adding coconut milk (something I've yet to cook with) but it was just so flavourful I didn't want to chance it.

No comments:

Post a Comment